Saturday, August 2, 2008

"My Dog Has Fleas" (but, I don't have a dog!)

I've been spending the past weeks vigorously weeding the edges of our overgrown yard (front and back). Last week I started digging up the weeds in the middle of the yard, and getting bright red super itchy spots on my body. The bites itch far more than spider bites, and are far too plentiful to be from just one insect.

My sister said it sounds like either fleas or an allergic reaction. Nothing's changed in my diet, so it must be fleas. After reading up on fleas and flea bites, I'm convinced there are fleas in my weeds.

A word about my yard (if you haven't guessed or seen it), it's mostly dead, dried up grass and a few very green tenacious weeds. I mow every now and then, and each time, there's a big cloud of dust kicked up -- the cloud is so big, that when I mow the front yard, my husband can see the dust cloud from the back of the house. He thinks I kicked the fleas into the air and they settled all over me, hence the many bright red (and did I saw, SUPER itchy?) spots.

So, now my husband can sing, "My wife has fleas" and my son can sing, "My mom has fleas" and we don't even have a dog.

Supposedly, DIATOMACEOUS EARTH on the lawn will kill the fleas, and applying clear nail polish on my bites will stop the itching. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

No comments: